Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


-- Robert Frost

My Cousin Shashi would always bring this poem up whenever I question any decision or thought whether there would have been any difference If I had done something else etc etc.....

The Road in this poem is a good metaphor in life for changes, journeys, adventures, partings etc. But that is just looking at this poem at a superficial level. If you keep peeling the layers, I think there are many more meanings to this poem. The author feeling sorry that he cannot take both roads is so reflective of how at so many crucial junctions of our life, when we have to chose one or the other - we wish if we could just have both....(could be a decision, or a change in life or people) kind of like having your cake and eating it too I guess. I have also felt the this poem indicates at some level that the two roads might not be that different than we feel.

I don't know why, but I was thinking about this poem a lot today and just wanted to penn my thoughts here.

1 Comments:

Bhanu said...

You are absolutely right but there is one place where i differ, Frost lays stress on being a little different than every one around. He takes the road less travelled, meaning a path no t much have travelled, a tough road. he is more of someone who loves challenges, and makes decsions which are hard to keep and overcome yet he does'nt regret and is happy that one day he would recall that if he would have taken an easier way out at things he would'nt have had anything to recall and boast about. what do you think of this?