Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My foray into short stories world

I was reading a post by my brother Teju regarding short stories and his own short story of 55 words and I thought this was a good time to post my own shorty story here. Enjoy...(comments are welcome).

Disclaimer: This was one of my first attempts at a short story written ages ago..


WAIT - A short story

As the taxi sped past the lush green meadows and towering trees, my mind raced to the past. I still remembered him as if I had seen him yesterday and not 12 years back.

Time seems to have flown so fast. His exuberance, vitality and joyful nature were not the only endearing qualities about him. He himself as a person appealed to anyone who went near him. I came out of my trance with a jolt when the taxi halted at a traffic signal. I could see the control towers of the airport in the distance. I was very nervous at the thought of coming to the airport to receive him and had planned to stay at home. But the strong urge to see him had made me take up this travel to the airport.

I consciously smoothed my yellow cotton sari, his favorite of course. He always had found yellow color pleasing to eyes, soothing and refreshing. I glanced at myself in the rearview mirror of the taxi. My hair had started graying near the temples and years had taken their toll by putting wrinkles on my once smooth face, but nothing could dim the shine in my eyes at the thought of seeing him after 12 long years. A long sigh escaped my lips. I hoped that his love for me hadn’t changed in the ensuing years. I was only dreading about his reaction on seeing me. Suddenly, a horrifying thought came into my mind – what if he doesn’t recognize me? Then I reassured myself that a person who had loved me so much couldn’t have forgotten me so easily. Still, I entered the airport with a fluttering heart. I was wondering whether I made a mistake by coming to the airport, when I heard them announcing the arrival of the flight.

I craned my neck to scan him among the passengers entering the lounge and there he was. All my fears went flying when my dear, lovable 12 year old grandson Suhas came running towards me to hug his favorite albeit old grandmother. Tears of happiness were flowing from my eyes when my son and daughter-in-law touched my feet. As hugged Suhas to me, I realized that my WAIT had come to an end and I had happiness in my hand.

2 Comments:

Tejaswi said...

Man, these content spammers are fast, real fast. Enable the spam-guard which uses CAPTCHA (the one where you have to type the word shown in the weird font).

The story is very well told. I liked the smaller elements like the yellow saree and the once smooth face.

Is this the first story you ever wrote? I find that hard to believe. You have been writing since like middle school?

Leena said...

Banu this is so beautiful .... the detail, the suspense turns to climax all so perfect... this is a perfect lil story that all grandma's would love to read...