Monday, August 30, 2010

Artistry of Cooking - Banu's Epiphany #1

Artistry of Cooking ---- I always thought I hated cooking or thought that I had to cook because I had to and not because I wanted to. But I was talking with Jen about this topic today and had a epiphany about this. My brain considers Cooking to be an art form. So, I need time, energy and freedom to create whatever I want. As soon as there are rules put in about how much fat I can add, how much of calories the dish should be and what not....the art dies and it becomes a chore and then it becomes one of those Have To Do list. Then I lose interest in cooking and I am like I can eat whatever and it does not feel fun to cook!! Sometimes I want to be like one of those celebrity chefs who have this superb cool Kitchens, they do not have to clean after cooking and they do not have to watch what they put into the dish..

Following my epiphany, I started to think how can I make cooking interesting even with all my rules about it and figured out a few simple things that can help me,

1. Try to cook with colorful food, so even if you cook it with little or no oil, it still appeals to the artist within you
2. Try to use fancy ingredients that does not add any calories or fat to your dish, but still makes you feel nice about cooking. I added some Oregano and Lemon Pepper to my Chayote Squash Curry..making me feel nice about the creating part.
3. Last but not the least, I figured out that I felt good if I put the cooked food in a nice serving bowl or tray before I ate it. Even though the food was not up to my own high expectations - the nice display made up for it.

Thanks for stopping by and please leave comments about your own thoughts about this.

1 Comments:

Moderndayhermit said...

That is so true! I was also thinking about this and how perhaps the challenges of not being able to do whatever one wants could potentially be an added source of creativity. I think you have some great tips on how to incorporate that and make it a little more satisfying on a day-to-day level :).