Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mnemonics

I was working on a card challenge that needed me to incorporate all colors of a rainbow. Immediately, I thought of VIBGYOR. This is how I used to remember the colors of Rainbow. VIBGYOR is a Mnemonic. Mnemonic is a method or an aid to remember some complex lists or details. The term covers a wide variety of memory aids, but is now often used as a synonym for acronyms. Even though it means that you need to know what the individual letters of the Mnemonic means, once practiced, this can be an effective way of remembering lot of complex details.

Another Mnemonic that I know is HOMES to remember the names of America's Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior)

I could not think of any other Mnemonics...:) If you remember any, please do let me know.

3 Comments:

Shashi Dodderi said...

hi
if you ask any medical student, he will give you hundreds of these.. this is how they remember anatomy... I also did to remember lot of biochemistry enzymes
shashi

Frank460 said...

Another mnemonic sentence

Cultural anthropology and the six types of residential patterns do not have to be listed in any particular order, so we can switch them to form the best cue word to fit our memory

Original List:
neolocal, patrilocal, matrilocal, avunculocal, bilocal, ambilocal

Mnemonic: Avoid New American Made Bionic Parts


Note: This mnemonic captures the first two letters of each term in the original list posted above.

bethm1687 said...

I once used mnemonics in the 4th grade to remember prepositions. I used the jingle bell song to remember them all. I could sing it to you if you're interested. :)