Saturday, May 08, 2010

Carpe Diem

Carpe diem is a phrase from a Latin poem by Horace. It is popularly translated as "seize the day". We have to live in the moment, be happy and enjoy it. Does this mean we can be carefree and not worry about future. Not really, for me this means put your mind, heart and soul into whatever you are doing at that point and just enjoy it.

I went to vote for Flower Mound Elections and there was a long line. My first thought was that "Oh Shoot, I should have voted early and I could have avoided this". Then I corrected my self, but then I could not have had this fun of waiting in line enjoying the most beautiful spring weather, talking to other people in line to get their opinions on different things, see the amazing volunteers taking time to wave the banners, serving water, giving out pamphlets..in general the overall excitement of the election day. It was lots of fun and I enjoyed it a lot as soon as I stopped worrying about if's and but's.

It is debatable as to how this applies to life in a bigger picture and how we can try to live in the moment with bigger decisions of our life. But we can keep trying. As my father says - Be in the moment and Be Happy. I have not quite reached the zen place that he has yet...but I am trying. His latest technique is saying to yourself that you are a happy being and over a period of time you will start believing and feeling it. I am certainly giving it a try.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and Carpe Diem - Go Seize the Day.

0 Comments: